Tuesday, February 5, 2013

:: Top 28 Picture Books #5 ::

#5 Where the Wild Things (MSCED #36)

Book #5 "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak

After being sent to his room, a mischievous boy imagines a place where he and his monsters have a wild rumpus. Stunning line-work, gorgeous palette, fantastic rhythm and spare text makes this an unforgettable classic. My #1 childhood picture book still remains in my Top 5 today!

It also seems fitting to repost this Maurice Sendak tribute piece today:

"Where the Wild Things Are" was my favourite picture book while growing up.  Being a young trouble maker myself (that was regularly sent to his room), I could relate to Max.  Many years later while working in the picture book industry, I've appreciated Mr. Sendak's contributions even more.  He was bold.  He was honest.  He was a trailblazer that paved the way for all children book authors past, present and future.  Maurice Sendak was an inspiration to us all.

Rest In Peace Mr. Sendak, you will be missed.

Maurice Sendak Tribute

No comments:

Post a Comment