Thursday, February 7, 2013

:: Top 28 Picture Books #7 ::

#7 Olivia by Ian Falconer (MSCED #38)

Book #7 "Olivia" by Ian Falconer

Olivia is curious, clever, creative and cute. She is one precocious pig packed with personality. Her bold, bustling and buoyant spirit sometimes gets her into trouble, but her understanding mother "loves her anyway". The union between the sparse, but rich text, colour palette, and lovely line-work is pure picture book elegance.

I can recall the very first time that I read this book in 2000.  It was at The World's Biggest Book Store and I spotted it from across the store. A pristine white cover in the mist of a colourful kids book section really stood out. I picked up the unassuming book and began flip through the pages. I laughed out loud as I followed this amazing pig's daily routine. She was a confident, creative and cute too.  I could not put the book down, because after I read it all the way through I reread it again. Part of the charm is that the text sets up the joke while the artwork perfectly delivers the punchlines.

I am pleased that simple book has grown into a series along with an amazing animated series. This is my go to board book for baby girls.

Also this past summer my brothers and I had the pleasure of meeting Olivia at The Word on the Street Book Festival! One of our many highlights are this wonderful book festival

The Brothers Leung meet Olivia!

No comments:

Post a Comment